If you've noticed any issues with your Accord's acceleration or your Civic's idling, you might need to order a replacement Honda fuel pump, and we have them in stock and ready to ship for all Honda models and model years at All Discount Parts. With convenient online ordering, we can have your Honda replacement fuel pump shipped from our warehouse to your doorstep in no time. We ship all over the United States, and all it takes is a few clicks to have an OEM fuel pump on its way.
What is a Fuel Pump?
Modern vehicles have a fuel pump in the gas tank that's designed to send gasoline to your engine's fuel injectors. It's housed in your fuel tank and usually sends a continuous stream of fuel to the engine, allowing any unused gasoline to return to the tank. Before the invention of the fuel pump, initial cars relied on gravity to direct fuel their engines, but the only real advantage to having an engine without a fuel pump was that gravity never quit on you. A fuel pump can get stressed, particularly if you regularly drive on less than half a tank, and repeated stress can cause your fuel pump to break down.
What Are the Signs of Fuel Pump Problems?
If your fuel pump isn't performing as it should, and the engine isn't getting the gasoline it needs, you're going to have some problems on your hands. But how can you be sure your troubles are caused by a faulty fuel pump? Here are five signs that your fuel pump could be going out:
- Engine Sputtering: The earliest signs of a failing fuel pump will attract your attention when you’re driving at high speeds. If you're driving down the highway and notice your engine sputtering, the fuel pump is struggling to steadily feed your engine.
- Loss of Power When Accelerating: Your fuel pump has a serious problem when that sputtering evolves into random losses of power while accelerating.
- Sudden Loss of Power Under Stress: If your car is climbing a hill or your truck is towing a trailer and it sputters or loses power under the strain of these ordinary tasks, the fuel pump is likely to blame.
- Surges When Accelerating: A malfunctioning pump can also cause unexpected surges in power, sending you accelerating when you didn't intend to.
- Engine Won't Start: If your engine won't start and the fuel pump is to blame, it's shot, and you need to order a replacement Honda fuel pump.
How to Replace a Fuel Pump
The first thing you want to do when replacing your fuel pump is make sure you have an OEM replacement part. Aftermarket pumps are available at lower costs, but Honda has designed the OEM parts specifically for your vehicle to work just as intended.
Aftermarket parts are often made from cheap materials and work with a wide range of models from different automakers... meaning they don't work perfectly with any of them. For important vehicle elements like those in your fuel system, don't ever settle for anything less than OEM.
Replacing a fuel pump requires going into your car's fuel tank, disconnecting the fuel lines, and properly reassembling things without letting anything leak, but it’s a quick process when you follow these steps:
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Relieve the fuel system's pressure.
- Siphon as much fuel as possible from the fuel tank.
- Disconnect your tank's hoses and electrical connections.
- Carefully remove any restraining straps from the tank and lower it.
- Disconnect the fuel lines, and remove your faulty fuel pump.
- Install your new fuel pump in its place.
- Reinstall the fuel lines, reattach your fuel tank, and connect everything back up.
- Reconnect your battery and fill your siphoned gas, then test your handiwork.
This is the kind of repair work that you should only undertake if you're a trained mechanic, and be sure to wear goggles and keep any flames or sources of heat away from your work area.
Order Your Fuel Pump Today
If you've noticed any of the symptoms of a failing fuel pump we mentioned, you should be ordering a replacement OEM Honda fuel pump from All Discount Parts. It's only a matter of time before your fuel pump will go from failing to failed, and you don't want to be unprepared when that happens. Place your order today.
Contact us if you have any questions about Honda fuel pump replacements.